Aberdeen has invested in a technology, the Advanced Electrolyzer System (AES), capable of producing high purity green hydrogen at less than $5 per kilogram. Aberdeen owns 41.67% of the intellectual property pertaining to the technology.
Hydrogen is essential for a renewable and sustainable economy.
Hydrogen produced from renewable electricity eliminates fossil fuels and lowers CO2 emissions. As industrial feedstock, hydrogen is used for the refining of crude oil, iron and steelmaking as well as the production of fertilizers and of numerous chemical products.
Production, purification and compression of hydrogen represent key technical challenges for the implementation of a hydrogen economy.
OPPORTUNITY IN THE HYDROGEN MARKET
The hydrogen market is already very large. Currently about 10 million tons/year of hydrogen is produced in the U.S. alone.
Industrial hydrogen markets, such as refineries, ammonia factories, chemical plants and fertilizer plants are the major hydrogen consumers today. They have very dilute hydrogen streams that are wasted. This waste represents up to 10-20% of the overall hydrogen market.
New technology, such as the AES, that more effectively purifies hydrogen can offer great value to the expanding hydrogen market.
Currently, hydrogen is extracted from natural gas reformates using technologies such as Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA).
These traditional technologies can only recover 70-80% of the hydrogen in the feed. The remaining hydrogen streams are wasted and are a lost economic opportunity. AES provides a solution for completely separating hydrogen from these very dilute streams economically.
Aberdeen’s AES technology has the following key technical advantages:
- Robustness: No moving parts (solid state) making the technology highly durable and energy efficient
- CAPEX: Lowest electrolyzer costs reduce capital requirements
- Scalability: Modular stack design and phased capacity expansion enables effective scaling to large electrolysis capacities
- Feedstock Flexible: With selective separation of Hydrogen our technology is uniquely suitable for challenging dilute streams such as Biogas and Industrial Process Exhaust
- Adaptability: Easy integration into any environment – whether industrial or greenfield